Saturday, October 7, 2017

Talk to Your Relatives

Nora Riordan was born 13 May 1897 at Cork City, Ireland. She was her parents second child and was baptized at St Finbarr Catholic Church 16 May 1897 with John Buckley and Margaret Riordan as sponsors. These were likely her mother’s older brother and her father’s younger sister. She was enumerated at 4 St Finbarr Street twice in 1901 and 1911 with her parents and siblings. 

On 24 Nov 1925 at St Finbarr she married Joseph McLoughlin. They had two children. A daughter Marie Celine was born to them in the second quarter of 1927 and a son John was born to them in 1930. 

I was given a bit more information today by my own godfather. My godfather, like Nora’s above, is my mother’s older brother. My godmother is my father’s sister.

Uncle Dennis remembered seeing pictures of his cousin and thought she died around 12 years of age. I was able to find her death under Marrie McLoughlin in 1937 at age 10 which is now online at irishgenealogy.ie

Marie died at the fever hospital 6 Dec 1937 and was buried at St. Joseph Cemetery. Her newspaper notice mentioned she was the daughter of Joseph and Nora McLoughlin. She had lived at 6 St. Kevin Street according to the death register. 

I was also able to finally find her parents in the Cork Examiner death notices. Joseph McLoughlin died 11 Jun 1967 at Marlene Glasheen Road. His widow Nora died there 10 Jan 1968. 


Conversations can open doors to more and more research successes.

No comments:

Post a Comment