Sunday, January 14, 2018

Follow the Leads and Trails

Take time to carefully review and follow new leads as they arise. I found a marriage license for Charles McNulty from 1931 that identified his parents as James McNulty and Catherine Carolan. Knowing that he was Irish born I went to rootsireland.ie and did a search for his baptism. He was baptized on 19 Sep 1876 at Knockbride, County Cavan. I was able to find an older brother Peter Nulty in 1875 and a younger sister Bridget Nulty in 1879. The siblings had civil birth registrations but Charles did not. 

Follow up research in the 1901 and 1911 Irish census found that Catherine Carolan (Mc)Nulty was widowed before 1901 and living with daughters Lizzie and Annie and her son Charles in 1901. This made sense since Charles’ US passport application indicated that he emigrated in 1902. In 1911, Catherine was still living with Annie and a granddaughter, Kate Murray. 

Moving from knowns to unknowns, I looked for a death registration for James (Mc)Nulty before the 1901 census. I found him dying in Dec 1896 and registered in Jan 1897. Realizing that the Irish records were exclusively using the shortened spelling of the name of N(a)ulty I did a restricted search for Cootehill and found several more entries. 

The presence of a granddaughter named Murray hinted that one of the Nulty daughters had married a Mr. Murray before 1911. I was able to find a 20 Feb 1903 birth at the Nulty homestead of Annafarney for Kate to James Murray and Lizzie Nulty. I was then able to find a 1901 wedding for them and several other children born 1904, 1906, 1908, 1909 and 1911. I do not know why their eldest daughter was not living with her parents at Kocknalossett in 1911 but the younger 5 children were all born there. I had tried to find deaths for Kate Murray’s parents but that is not the only reason for a child to dwell with a grandparent. 

I continued searching in the civil register and found older siblings of Charles McNulty; Bridget in 1864, James in 1866 and Mary in 1868. I was also able to find birth records for Lizzie in 1871 and Annie in 1873. I was unable to find baptismal records for any of these children. 

I was able to find a marriage from 3 Feb 1855 between James Nulty and Catherine Carolan. This was a church marriage register as Catholic marriages went unregistered with civil authorities until 1864. 

I was curious if they really did have a 9 year infertile period to start their marriage. I also noted that their first known child was Bridget born 21 Sep 1864. Earlier, I discovered that their last known child was also named Bridget born 27 Jan 1879. There was no mistaking these Bridgets. Both were born at Annafarney and both were the daughters of the same parents James Nulty and Catherine Carolan. Sometimes the surname Carolan was listed as Carroll. 

I looked for a death of Bridget Nulty between 1864-1879. I found a 13 year-old Bridget that died on 25 Jul 1878. She was of Annafarney and had drowned and been found dead according to the coroner’s inquest. Since Ireland utilized a death register several other deaths were also listed within the same view. Several deaths had the identical notes about being found dead after drowning. It was quite a shock to see that many deaths from one event. I automatically asked myself would that many drownings have made the newspapers? I did find an article from The Nation 3 Aug 1878. It listed the names of the many school girls, their teachers and chaperone who all drowned after a leak occurred on the lake near their home while sailing. The assistant teacher was named Mary Nulty but I am uncertain if she was an aunt or a cousin. It is possible that she was a relative. 

I did other searches and found a few more deaths and a couple of marriages as well. Catherine Carolan (Mc)Nulty died in 1921. She was reported dead by her son-in-law Philip Brady. I found he had married Mary Nulty in 1905 and apparently had no children. The younger Bridget Nulty was the maid of honor for this wedding. Interestingly, none of the five Murray daughters had godparents named Nulty. Their brother did not have a baptismal entry but he married in 1934 in Ireland. 

No comments:

Post a Comment