Wednesday, February 28, 2018

Good Books to Consider for County Tyrone

Local histories can be very beneficial in your family history research. Constantly scouring the Internet led to finding, A While with Your Own Ones, by Patricia McSorley. This Eskra Community Book was published in 1989 and contains gobs of information about the 25 townlands that make up the current parish of Eskra. 

I had first discovered the existence of this book several years ago but could not find a way to purchase it. A few years back I did manage to download a copy from Rootsweb but I lost the copy and it no longer is available at Rootsweb to download. Recently, I found a hard covered edition of the work through eBay. A copy signed by the author arrived today.

I much prefer a paper copy to a digital one, myself. Researchers are able to quickly yet methodically page through the text and find the historical and personal nuggets we all strive for in our family history pursuits.


On a personal note twenty years ago I sent letters trying to track down distant relations near Eskra and ultimately Old Bridget McMaugh(1909-2005) made this happen. I had found Miss McMaugh in the 1911 Irish Census but McSorley’s work provided me a few photographs and it is nice to put a kind face to the woman who was so helpful to me. 

I would also like to point out Heather, Peat and Stone. This title is an excellent mapping resource along with some extra details for County Tyrone. I encourage the other counties to compile similar works, please. http://www.irishgenealogynews.com/2018/02/heather-peat-and-stone-republished-as-e.html

No comments:

Post a Comment