Saturday, March 24, 2018

Social Media Not So Social

I made the decision to halt a GreenGenes presence on social media. I deleted both the Facebook and Twitter accounts because of the annoying display of partisanship found on social media. I am a person of strong opinions and would ordinarily appreciate the “CrossFire” approach. However, I don’t think that the hobby of genealogy is best served by one side freely sharing their deeply held beliefs while the other side is handcuffed because it is trying to avoid alienating others or afraid to be name called. 

Recently another blogger shared stuff on "resistance genealogy" and some agreed with his call and others called for a return to research matters. 

It is probably best to “suffer in silence” lest a war of words break out within the research community. I am truly interested in helping any other person access what records survive to answer his family history questions whether he voted for President Trump or Secretary Clinton. 

I can remember the days when folks could agree to disagree. Hopefully, we will soon return to a civility online that we once enjoyed in the past. 

No comments:

Post a Comment