Monday, September 24, 2018

Exhilaration

Recently, I was excited with two new updates in my genealogy research. First, Ancestry DNA has updated their testing pool and the significant updates were made to their ethnicity percentages provided to clients.

Initially, my results indicated 77% Irish, 12% British, 4% Scandinavian, Caucasus 3%, Iberian Peninsula 2% and Finland/NW Russia 2%. The newer stronger ethnicity results stated 100% Ireland/Scotland. This does agree completely with my paper family tree; 8 great-grandparents born in Ireland between 1849-1870.

The more significant finding was thanks to FindMyPast’s Catholic Heritage Archive for the Archdiocese of New York. The initial upload was in March and another huge upload just occurred. I have spent several years painstakingly trying to prove that Hugh Goodwin(1842-1926) the son of Patrick Goodwin and Catherine Rogers was the full brother of my great-grandfather John Goodwin(1860-1897) and his brother Peter(c.1853-1901); sons of Patrick and Catherine Goodwin.

I had found numerous circumstantial connections and never a shred of evidence that challenged my supposition. Finally, I found a transcription for Peter Goodwin’s 1890 marriage to his wife Mary Cunningham. They wed at St Paul the Apostle, 6 Jul 1890. The priest recorded that the groom was the son of Patrick Goodwin and Catherine Rogers. Exhilarating to finally have the answer and have conclusive and solid evidence to support my claim. 

No comments:

Post a Comment